This is an easy Thai Vegetarian Dish with a lot of flavor.
Use the freshest beans available.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, roasted
- ½ cup vidalia onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- ½ teaspoon thai chili, crushed
- 1 cup green beans, washed and trimmed, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken broth, or vegetable ~ home made
- 3 cakes silken tofu, organic, cut into 1″ pieces
- ¼ cup thai basil, washed and torn
In a large skillet or wok heat the peanut oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the vidalia onion, garlic cloves, ginger and crushed thai chili, saute for 3 minutes, stirring until the contents are softened and just starting to color. Remove to a plate. Raise the heat to high, add the green beans and saute, stirring until the beans are colored, about 3 minutes. Add the sugar and salt, toss.
Add the coconut milk and broth. Add the onion mixture and simmer the sauce over medium heat until slightly thickened ~ just a few minutes. Add the silken tofu and thai basil, stir gently and cook to blend the flavors, just a few minutes. Serve over jasmine rice, or you favorite grain.
For a variation: add 1/2 a cup of raw minced chicken to the pan with the green beans.
Pour in a little more peanut oil as you saute.
Thai chiles can be replaced with your favorite chile, such as jalapeno or ancho.
Servings : 4