A wonderful salad with fiber and flavor! The addition of roasting cauliflower adds a nice earthy twist to the nutty, chewy bulgur. Pungent ingredients work together in creating a powerful and developed taste.
- 2 large raw cauliflower steaks, center portion of the cauliflower, 2 – 1″ slices
- 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- 1 pinch tumeric
- 1 pinch sea salt, or pink salt
- ½ cup bulgur wheat
- 1 cups water
- 1 whole cinnamon stick , broken in half
- 2 medium baby persian cucumbers, cleaned, 1/2″ dice
- ⅓ cup dried mission figs, 1/3″ dice
- 1 medium blood orange, or navel orange, peeled, 1/2″ dice from segments
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, cleaned, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, cleaned, stemmed and chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced natural almonds, lightly toasted
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cut center of the cauliflower into 2, 1″ steaks. In a small bowl, add the 2t. safflower oil with the tumeric and salt. Place cauliflower on a cutting board and brush both sides with the flavored oil. Transfer to a baking pan and roast in the hot over for 10 minutes. When golden underneath, carefully turn over and roast another 10 minutes until golden brown. Cauliflower will be a bit firm. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, cook the bulgar. Bring 1 cup of water with a broken cinnamon stick to a boil. Add the bulgur and cook as package directs, about 15 minutes until tender, do not over cook. Set aside to cool, leave cinnamon stick in to add flavor.
Make the Zesty Citrus and Cinnamon Vinaigrette (recipe below).
In a large bowl add: cooled bulgur, cucumbers, figs, oranges, parsley, mint and almonds. Cut the cauliflower into small pieces and add to bowl. Add some of the vinaigrette and let infuse together. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Before serving, add more vinaigrette if needed.