Use this sauce with Pulled Chicken Enchiladas Recipe.
Ingredients are pan roasted, then whirled in a blender.
20 minutes to cook, then blended. The use of three chiles, all “medium” spicy result in a great low fat sauce with some kick.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried guajillo chile, soaked in warm water
- 1 teaspoon dried chile chipotle morita, soaked in warm water
- ½ teaspoon canned chipotle chile in adobe, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups diced tomatoes in juice, fire roasted variety
Heat the oil in a one quart saucepan. Add garlic and onion, saute of low heat to soften, about 5 minutes. In the meantime, soak the two first chiles in warm water. In a few minutes, when softened, discard seeds with a small knife, and chop the chiles. Add them with the canned chipotle in adobe to the pan. Stir. Add the tomato paste, stir to blend. Raise the heat to high, cook, stirring well to “toast” the ingredients one minute. Add the fire roasted tomatoes with their juice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat – covered for 20 minutes. Cool slightly, place in a blender and whirl until smooth. Reserve. Add more chicken broth is sauce seems too thick, especially when heated.
Can adjust chiles to your taste. Use more or less depending on your palate.
Makes : 3 cups