In summertime zucchini is the most plentiful ~ many interesting varieties and colors to be found at Farmers’ Markets. Summer squash have thin skins, and perfect for eating raw.
- 3 medium zucchini, different varieties and colors
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon rind, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch fresh cracked black pepper
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, first press
- 2 tablespoons petite basil leaves, or basil
Clean zucchini well, dry and slice very thinly. Use a mandoline for uniform slices.
Place in a medium sized bowl and toss with 1 t. salt. Let sit for 20 – 30 minutes.
In the meantime, make dressing. Whisk next 6 ingredients together well (garlic through pepper).
SLOWLY add the olive oil in a thin stream until emulsified.
Drain the zucchini slices from the bowl, blotting the moisture with paper towels.
Add some of the dressing, (reserving some for another use).
Toss well, add the basil leaves. Serve or refrigerate a few hours.
Try other herbs here too if you like.
In summer I use petite basil often ~ just pick off
small leaves from the stem, no cutting necessary.
Servings : 6