A little sauce with a lot of pizzazz! Flavorful and intense – great to dollop on soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large red bell pepper, seeded, 1/4″ slices
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped, about 1 T.
- ½ tablespoon dry red california chiles, seeded and torn ( I used these mild ones)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons filtered water
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
In a small skillet, add the olive oil and set heat to medium. Add the next 5 ingredients – peppers through chiles. Stir and cook for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
Add the tomato paste, and give a stir. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low, cook 3 minutes more.
Take off the stove and add the lemon juice, water and salt.
Place all in a blender and puree until smooth. Add 1 T. extra olive oil if desired.
Store in a airtight class container in the refrigerator. Will stay fresh for at least 2 weeks.
This is a small batch of sauce, double the recipe if desired.
Makes: 1/3 cup