Simply Delicious ~ Wood Fired Infused Smoked Beets easily prepared on your grill. Finish the Salad with Petite Greens and a Zesty Avocado-Citrus Vinaigrette. A Mother’s Day Irresistible Salad!
I love Composed Salads – simple enough to make on a weeknight but elegant enough for entertaining. A perfect side dish for a Mother’s Day Buffet! Here mellow, gorgeous hued beets team with a zesty, whisked dressing and Spring edible baby greens for crunch and texture.
Try my method for “smoking beets” ~ for a special layer of flavor. (I’ll be smoking all kinds of vegetables and potatoes this season!)
Yes, you can turn your gas grill into a powerful smoker – perfect for infusing a smokey flavor into these steamed beets.
Fold over heavy aluminum foil; puncture with holes to make a “grill tray” for the beets.
Smoking Chips for a barbecue (found in hardware and specialty shops) are soaked in water and placed in a
V- metal smoking box, and tucked under the grates of the grill to smoke. (Don’t have one? I found mine at Home Depot… Simply make a packet out of layers of heavy foil, puncture all over and fill with soaked wood chips.)
Steamed, peeled and sliced beet wedges get brush with a small amount of oil, dusted with a pinch of salt and smoked over the grates in a gas grill.
In 15 minutes, the beets will be infuse with a lingering smokey flavor… turn off the heat and let them stand for an additional 10 minutes.
Toss beets with my lovely Avocado-Citrus Vinaigrette.
Add a ball of Petite Edible Greens (or your favorite baby lettuces) and drizzle some vinaigrette.
Top with edible flowers for a pretty garnish.
Enjoy this fabulous, inventive salad!
Some of my Favorite Mother’s Day RECIPES to TRY:
- Spring Salmon Brochette Salad with Minted Lime Dressing, Toasted Quinoa and Pistachios
- Modern Shrimp Louis Salad
- Naan Bread Tomato Pie with Goat Cheese and Garden Herbs
- Spiced Grilled Chicken Open-Faced Sandwich Topped with Gruyere Fondue and Butternut Squash & Apple Jelly
- Spinach and Feta Tart with Hemp Seed Pate Brisee ~ Gluten – Free
- Asian Chicken in Parchment – Homemade Hoisin Sauce
- Zucchini Noodles with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- Vegan Apple Raspberry Crisp
- Caramel Vanilla Bean Vegan Ice Cream
- Lightened-Up Peach Crisp
- Rhubarb Granita with Infused Spices and Flavors – Cloves, Cardamom and Orange