Roasted Vegetable Broth
A basic vegetable broth. Roasting the vegetables in the first step adds a depth of flavor.
- 12 ounces mushrooms, cleaned, halved
- 3 ribs celery, cleaned, sliced
- 1 small celery root, peeled and diced
- 1 handfull parsley, cleaned
- 1 large onion, peeled, 1inch pieces
- 2 medium leek, cleaned, 1 inch pcs
- 3 medium carrot, cleaned, 1 inch pcs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 whole peppercorns
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 8 cups water
Pre-heat oven to 450°. Clean and dice vegetables. Place vegetables in a large roasting pan adding oil to coat. Roast for 25 minutes until vegetables have lightly browned. Place vegetables in a stock pot adding all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. Cool and strain into a clean container. Use within a week (refrigerated) or freeze for further use.
16 half cup servings