Karen's Whole Wheat Cheese Scones
Tasty whole wheat scones that are flavorful and not heavy! Low in fat & high in flavor.
Recipe: 6 scones with crumbled bacon & chives
6 scones - basic recipe
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, organic
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, organic
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch cracked black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into tablespoons
- ⅔ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated plus 2 T. for topping
- 3 tablespoons parmesan reggiano cheese, grated, plus 1 T. for topping
- ¾ cup low fat milk, plus 2 tablespoons ( +1 t. for topping)
- 2 tablespoons turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled (for 6 scones)
- 1 tablespoon chives, or green scallion, chopped (for 6 scones)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees before you start. Add the two whole wheat flours into a large bowl. Add baking powder, sea salt, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Add the butter, using a pastry blender cut butter into dry ingredients until the size of large peas, not smaller. Add the cheddar and parmesan cheese, combine until just dispersed into the dough. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Add 3/4 cup plus 2 T. low fat milk, and combine with a wooden spoon until the dough is starting to come together. Place the dough on a wooden board and knead with your hands briefly to combine. Hint: Do this quickly, the heat of your hand can overwork the dough and cause it to be tough. Cut dough in half with a knife.
Gently knead the bacon and chives into half. Flatten the dough quickly until 1" high with a rolling pin. Cut 6 scones with a 1 1/2" biscuit cutter and place on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Roll the second half of dough as well 1" high, cut 6 scones with biscuit cutter, place on baking sheet. Brush each scone with some milk with a pastry brush. Top all the scones with the reserved 2 T. cheddar and 1 T. parmesan cheese.
Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.
Note: after cutting a few biscuits from the dough, regather and cut until all the dough is used.
Whole wheat pastry flour here produces a lighter scone.
Servings: 12 1 1/2 " scones