Green Sauce for Roasted Cornish Hens
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 cup leeks, cleaned, whites & greens divided - sliced
- 2 cups scallions, - sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth, preferably home made
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 teaspoons cool water
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot
- 1 cup fresh parsley, cleaned, stemmed and chopped
Have a blender ready. In a large saute pan add 2 t. olive oil, set heat to medium - low. Add the sliced garlic. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes until tender, but not colored. Add the whites of the leeks and scallions, saute 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, white wine and sea salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover - cook for 5 minutes. In a small cup, stir together the water and arrowroot to blend. Bring the sauce to a boil, add the arrowroot mixture, stirring well to thicken. Will take just one minute. Add the parsley and the dark greens of leeks, cook 30 seconds. Give a stir and immediately pour contents into a blender. Careful, liquid will be hot. Puree until smooth and bright green.
Look for "vadalia salad onions" at your better grocer. They are simliar to scallions, yet larger and sweeter.