Corn, Tomato and Pearl Mozzarella Salad with "Shaken" Italian Vinaigrette
- 1 cup mozzarella pearls, (mini mozzarella balls)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup small cherry tomatoes, cut in half - try multi colored heirloom variety
- 1 ½ cups fresh corn, 1 1/2 ears of corn (preferably bi - color)
- 2 tablespoons purple scallions, cleaned, sliced thinly
- 1 recipe Shaken Italian Dressing (see below) will have extra
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, petite basil, parsley leaves or chives
Make the Shaken Italian Vinaigrette. Refrigerate until ready to use. Drain and dry the mozzarella pearls very well. Place in a small bowl to fit. Add the olive oil, cracked black pepper and crushed red pepper. Mix well, set aside to marinate at least 15 minutes, or up to 4 hours. To a large bowl, add the cut small colorful tomatoes and the marinated mozzarella. Steam the corn whole just for 1 minute, until crisp - tender. Drain, refresh under cool water. Cut kernels from the ears, add to the bowl. Immediately add 1/4 cup of the Shaken Italian Dressing, toss well. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes. Then, tilt the bowl and drain out any juices that have accumulated on the bottom of the bowl. Add a few more tablespoons of the dressing and any fresh herbs. Refrigerate covered well. Tastes nice taken out of the refrigerator and served at room temperature.
Use the finest ingredients. For the best flavor, cover and refrigerate - then serve at room temperature.
Servings: 6 as a side dish