Chicken Taco Burger Sliders with Toppings
Use the best ingredients, many gourmet shops now grind chicken fresh for use in recipes. Unsalted Organic Tortilla Chips are ground and added to the chicken with loads of vegetables, herbs and seasonings ~ adding fiber and flavor. The ultimate healthy taco burger!
- 1 ½ pounds ground chicken, light and dark meat
- 1 cup no salt tortilla chips (after ground), organic
- ½ cup bell peppers, any color, cleaned and chopped
- ¼ cup sweet onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, cleaned and chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt free taco seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped (or dried italian seasonings)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 16 small slider rolls, see note
- 16 ounces cheese, cheddar or monterey jack
- ½ cup chipotle salsa, or your favorite type
- ¼ cup fresh tomatoes, cut 1/4 " pieces
- ½ cup fresh corn , see note
- 16 slices fresh avocado
- ½ cup lettuce, shredded
Place the tortilla chips in a food processor, and process until finely ground. Add the vegetables and seasonings, next 8 ingredients (bell peppers through tomato paste). Pulse until all is finely chopped. Scrape down with a rubber spatula. Add the ground chicken, and pulse until all is well combined, scraping down once with the spatula. Refrigerate for up to one day if not using immediately. Place a sheet of waxed paper on a baking sheet. Scoop 16 even mounds of chicken mixture using the aid of a 2" ice cream scoop. Heat a grill pan, spray with oil. Alternately, use an out door grill. Cook over medium - high heat, until strong grill marks on the first side. Turn over, lower the heat to medium - low. Cook until springy on top and cooked through. Cut the buns in half, add cheese of your choice to the tops. Heat the buns in a warm oven, until toasty, and the cheese is melted. Mound with toppings of your choice. See notes on finishing the sliders.
Recipe yields 2 slider burgers per person.
Toppings for 16 sliders:
1/2 cup chipotle salsa - add 1/4 cup fresh tomatoes to it
16 ounces extra sharp cheddar or monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup fresh corn, grilled on the cob - and cut off (or steamed)
16 slices fresh avocado
1/2 cup shredded lettuce
16 slider buns, or whole wheat buns cut smaller with a biscuit cutter
Taco seasoning used Mrs. Dash "Fiesta Lime Salt Free Seasoning".
Slider buns used : Trader Joe's "Petite Buns" and Trader Joe's "Whole Wheat Slims" (see photos on BLOG).
Makes 16 small slider sandwiches, or about 5 regular sized burgers.
Really great served with (recipe)